Series: Journey to the Cross
Journey to Life
April 21, 2019
- “Jesus journeyed to the cross to give his life; we journey to the cross to find life!”
- Mark 15:20-16:8
- He was crucified
- He died
- He was buried
- He rose again
- Scripture readings
- Mark 15:24 f
- Mark 15:33-34
- Mark 15:37-41
- (Roman soldier)
- (Mary Magdalene)
- Mark 15:42-47
- (Joseph of Arimathea)
- Mark 16:1-8
- The journey was planned from the beginning.
- [Gen 3:15 ESV] 15 I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heel."
- [Gal 4:4-5 ESV] 4 But when the fullness of time had come, God sent forth his Son, born of woman, born under the law, 5 to redeem those who were under the law, so that we might receive adoption as sons.
- [Psalm 22:15-18 ESV] 15 my strength is dried up like a potsherd, and my tongue sticks to my jaws; you lay me in the dust of death. 16 For dogs encompass me; a company of evildoers encircles me; they have pierced my hands and feet-- 17 I can count all my bones-- they stare and gloat over me; 18 they divide my garments among them, and for my clothing they cast lots.
- [Isaiah 53:1-12 ESV] 1 Who has believed what he has heard from us? And to whom has the arm of the LORD been revealed? 2 For he grew up before him like a young plant, and like a root out of dry ground; he had no form or majesty that we should look at him, and no beauty that we should desire him. 3 He was despised and rejected by men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief; and as one from whom men hide their faces he was despised, and we esteemed him not. 4 Surely he has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows; yet we esteemed him stricken, smitten by God, and afflicted. 5 But he was pierced for our transgressions; he was crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace, and with his wounds we are healed. 6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned--every one--to his own way; and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all. 7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth; like a lamb that is led to the slaughter, and like a sheep that before its shearers is silent, so he opened not his mouth. 8 By oppression and judgment he was taken away; and as for his generation, who considered that he was cut off out of the land of the living, stricken for the transgression of my people? 9 And they made his grave with the wicked and with a rich man in his death, although he had done no violence, and there was no deceit in his mouth. 10 Yet it was the will of the LORD to crush him; he has put him to grief; when his soul makes an offering for guilt, he shall see his offspring; he shall prolong his days; the will of the LORD shall prosper in his hand. 11 Out of the anguish of his soul he shall see and be satisfied; by his knowledge shall the righteous one, my servant, make many to be accounted righteous, and he shall bear their iniquities. 12 Therefore I will divide him a portion with the many, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong, because he poured out his soul to death and was numbered with the transgressors; yet he bore the sin of many, and makes intercession for the transgressors.
- [Mark 10:45 ESV] 45 For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."
The journey leads to life.
[John 10:17-18 ESV] 17 For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life that I may take it up again. 18 No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This charge I have received from my Father."
[John 10:10 ESV] 10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.
- The Gospel is a journey
- [From the Bonhoeffer Project, 2016-17] The Gospel is the good news of what God has done for us through his son, Jesus, God’s only son who came into the world to reveal God’s Kingdom. Jesus is the Christ, the savior, who died for our sins, was buried, and rose again to life on the third day. God gives life and purpose to anyone who repents, believes this good news, and follows Jesus in the power of the Holy Spirit. Through faith in Jesus, God gives us abundant life right now and eternal life in his Kingdom one day, when Jesus returns to earth.
- The journey continues…
- [Mar 16:6 ESV] 6 And he said to them, "Do not be alarmed. You seek Jesus of Nazareth, who was crucified. He has risen; he is not here. See the place where they laid him.
- [Mar 14:25 ESV] 25 Truly, I say to you, I will not drink again of the fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new in the kingdom of God.
- [Act 1:10-11 ESV] 10 And while they were gazing into heaven as he went, behold, two men stood by them in white robes, 11 and said, "Men of Galilee, why do you stand looking into heaven? This Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will come in the same way as you saw him go into heaven."
- You know the story.
- But why does it matter?
- Because the story of the Good News is life!
- Life giving
- Life changing
- Roman soldier
- Mary Magdalene
- Joseph of Arimathea
- You know the story.
“Nothing puts life into men like a dying Savior. Get you close to Christ, and carry the remembrance of him about you from day to day... Come, let us slay sin, for Christ was slain. Come, let us bury all our pride, for Christ was buried. Come, let us rise to newness of life, for Christ has risen. Let us be united with our crucified Lord in his one great object – let us live and die with him, and then every action of our lives will be very beautiful.”