Sometimes it is good for us to consider how far we have to go to reach a point of spiritual maturity. This passage of scripture always refocuses me on what is God’s Word and what is the way of the world and how I’ve conformed to the wrong thing. So without further ado…
Romans 12 and the Apostle Paul presents…
The Checklist for Being a True Christian
- Love genuinely, stand against evil, cling to what is good.
- Love others as brothers and sisters, outdo each other in showing honor.
- Be quick, not slow, to be excited to carry out God’s will.
- Rejoice in hope, be patient in suffering, and never stop praying.
- Find something that your brothers and sisters need and provide it for them.
- Bless and do not curse those who come after you for your faith.
- Celebrate with those who are happy and cry with those who are hurting.
- Seek unity with everyone.
- Don’t just seek company with people you consider important, but rather seek out the ones in the lowest status.
- Those who are truly wise will know how much they still have to learn. Those who are immature will count themselves wise already.
- You can’t justify doing evil against something evil. Compounding two evils is always worse and not the way of a true believer.
- You can’t control others, but you do your part to create peace.
- Revenge is not yours to get. Find your enemies and be exceedingly and genuinely kind to them.
- Do not let evil consume you, but let evil be consumed by good.
Which of these items do you need to pray over and work on today? For me, it is all of them.
I encourage you to read all of Romans chapter 12 to find an even greater encouragement to live like a true believer. Let us always seek ways to grow in spiritual maturity together as we become better disciples and disciple-makers.
Always in love,